Visiting Faculty Researchers & Interns

The Cal Poly International Students and Scholars staff are here to assist visiting faculty and scholars with obtaining the appropriate documents to apply for J-1 exchange visitor visas and offer assistance with maintaining visa status and adjusting to life at Cal Poly and in the United States.

International Students and Scholars staff will assist in determining the best visa type for international visitors coming to Cal Poly. Please email Susan Tripp ( with the name and email of the visitor and the name of the faculty or staff member who will be assisting or supervising the visitor. Susan will initiate the sponsorship approval form and reply with the recommended visa type for the visitor. If the J-1 visa is determined to be the best visa type International Students and Scholars will guide the process and create visa eligibility documents for the visitor and work with the Dean's office and academic department in fulfilling the next steps.

The Office of Academic Personnel can assist departments with hiring faculty requiring H-1B visa sponsorship.