Information for Visiting Scholars
If you are interested in a temporary research or teaching appointment at Cal Poly, please contact the academic department at Cal Poly associated with your field. The department will initiate the invitation process through the appropriate Dean’s office. You may find academic departments listed under the A-Z search on the main Cal Poly website or you may contact the Cal Poly Departments.
The International Center is here to assist you with the visa process once you have been offered a position on campus.
- Ask your Cal Poly faculty contact or internship supervisor to contact us to request an International Visitor Sponsorship Request Form.
- This form will be routed to you and to your hosting department for recommendation
- Once sponsorship is recommended the International Center will send you a link to submit a form to collect information we will need to issue your visa eligibility documents
- Review eligibility requirements for DS-2019 issuance
If you have questions or need assistance, please email email@example.com.
APPLY FOR YOUR VISA
Follow instructions on applying for a J-1 Visa
PREPARE FOR ARRIVAL
- Read the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Welcome Brochure
- After you have your J-1 visa, purchase health insurance that meets the criteria for J-1 visa holders
- Health insurance must be in place by the program start date and be valid until the program end date for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders
- Arrange for housing. Rental housing is in high demand in San Luis Obispo and can be quite expensive so begin your search early.
- Graduate students and Student Interns: Check out our International Welcome Ambassador Program. If you would like to sign up to get help from a Cal Poly International Welcome Ambassador, please submit this participation form.
TRAVEL TO THE USA
- Obtain a U.S. telephone number. This is required for SEVIS validation
- Submit the J-1 Scholar and Intern Check-In Form
- Edit your profile Settings Iconwith your SLO area address as your SEVIS U.S. Address
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a check-in appointment
- If you will be paid by Cal Poly, you will need a Social Security Card
INCOME TAX and FORM 8843
J-1 visa holders are required to submit an IRS Form 8843 each year at tax time, regardless of whether any income was earned. If you were paid by Cal Poly you will also need to submit a tax return. Visit Income Tax for information and forms.
EXTENDING YOUR STAY
TRAVEL AFTER ARRIVAL
- Visit our Travel While on a J-1 Visa page
Please notify International Students and Scholars staff if:
- You will depart more than 30 days prior to your end date or
- Your J-2 dependents leave before the end date on the DS-2019