OPT STEM Extension
The STEM OPT extension is a 24-month period of temporary training that directly relates to an F-1 student's program of study in an approved STEM field. Both you and your employer should review details of the requirements of the program on the Study in the States STEM OPT Hub.
- Review the Eligible CIP Codes for the STEM OPT Extension webpage
- Your major’s CIP Code is located on the first page of your I-20
When to Apply
- No sooner than 90 days before the end date on your current OPT EAD card.
- Mail your application to USCIS so that is received before your OPT EAD end date.
How to Apply
- Read full OPT STEM extension instructions
- Complete the OPT STEM Extension Request
- Complete the Form I-983 and upload in the STEM OPT Extension Request Form
- Submit Form I-983 within first 12 months of STEM OPT with annual evaluation
- Submit Form I-983 at end of STEM OPT
- Report of changes to your employment, address, email and phone number within 10 days of any change
- Keep the International Center updated with your employment, address, email, and phone number
- STEM OPT Reporting Chart
- STEM OPT General Reporting Requirements
- Do not have more than 150 days of unemployment between your regular OPT and STEM OPT authorized periods combined