Course Registration

All course registration, fee payment, access to library contents, PolyLearn class assignments, grades, and a wealth of other information is conducted through the Cal Poly Portal. If you do not have a username or password to access the portal, email The Student Planning Calendar can help you plan your quarter.

Cal Poly Portal

The Enrollment Appointment Schedule tells you when you will be allowed to register for the current term. Exchange students register earlier than other Cal Poly students under Special Exceptions so they are exempt from Poly Planner.

There is important information about Cal Poly registration on Office of the Registrar. Please become familiar with these instructions and policies. Be sure to read announcements on the Cal Poly Portal as those change weekly and also have important information for new students. Check your Cal Poly email account regularly for announcements from university faculty and administrators.

How to Register

1. First, you will use PASS (Plan a Student Schedule) to plan your schedule.

2. Then, you will use the Student Center to Register for classes.

Step 1: Using PASS

PASS tells you what courses are available for the term and has course descriptions and lists prerequisite or co-requisite course requirements. You may plan your class schedule using PASS. Access the “Registration and Enrollment” tab on the Cal Poly Portal and click on the Plan a Student Schedule (PASS) link to plan a schedule of courses you would like to take. Select courses by subject. Click on the “Details” link to get full course descriptions. The course descriptions will list Prerequisite Courses required prior to enrollment.

Step 2: Registering

See the Enrollment Appointment Schedule for your time to register.

Course Selection

If you have questions about the classes that you should register for please contact your academic advisor or, if you are participating in a departmental exchange program, contact your Exchange Coordinator. If you don’t know who your exchange coordinator is, email International Services.

Minimum Required Study Load

Students attending Cal Poly on F-1 or J-1 visa standing must carry a minimum number of units per quarter. Undergraduate students are required to carry at least 12 units per quarter and graduate students a minimum of 8 units of 400- or 500-level coursework per quarter. Students who encounter difficulty in carrying the minimum load, whether for academic, health, or personal reasons, should immediately contact the International Center. Before dropping below full-time enrollment, you must contact the International Student Advisor at International Services. Less than full-time enrollment is allowed for summer quarter for Cal Poly degree-seeking students.

Students will be blocked from dropping below full-time enrollment during the last 4 days of open registration when the quarter has begun. If you need to drop a class to add another one, add the new class first or use the swap class function in the Student Center.

F-1 students must be approved for less than full-time enrollment for their final quarter at Cal Poly by Request for Reduced Course Load for Final Quarter online.

Exchange Student will need Permission Numbers to Over-Ride Prerequisite Requirements

If you see in PASS that the course you want to take has a prerequisite requirement that you have not taken at Cal Poly, you must show you have taken an equivalent course at another school. You may have to provide copies of course syllabi from these past courses and transcripts. For help clearing any prerequisite holds, consult the Advising Center for your College or the Department Office offering the course. You may find contact information for department offices on the Cal Poly Portal on the Home tab in the Directory Information Portlet by using the Depts/Clubs/Units filter. If you are granted permission to enroll in the course, you will be given a permission number by the department office or instructor. Enter this permission number on the registration screen in the Student Center where shown in the Permission Number Instruction Sheet (PDF). It is recommended that you begin the process to clear prerequisite holds as soon as you know your desired class schedule for the quarter. Permission numbers become available to the department offices as soon as courses appear in PASS.