J-1 Academic Training
Paid or non-paid (volunteer) training directly related to the field of study on your DS-2019
Academic training is authorized on a part-time basis while you are enrolled in classes, and either part-time or full-time after you complete your program of study.
Academic Training for J-1 Students
- Maintain good academic standing
- For non-degree students, the length of time of academic training may not exceed actual study time or the number of months already spent in classes at Cal Poly
- Have a recommendation from your Cal Poly exchange coordinator or academic advisor
- Enrollment is not required
- If you are requesting Academic Training to begin after you finish your studies at Cal
Poly, you will be required to:
- Provide proof of health insurance for the duration of the academic training period;
- Provide proof of funds for the months you are on academic training. We will need documentation of funds totaling $1874 per month.
How to Apply
1. Contact Us
E-mail Judy Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make an appointment to confirm your eligibility for Academic Training before you DS-2019 expires. Do not work until Academic Training is authorized and you receive your new DS-2019.
2. Employment Letter
Obtain a signed employment/internship offer letter from your employer, on company letterhead, that lists the following:
- Company name
- Paid or unpaid (if paid, must list salary to be earned)
- Start/End dates of employment
- Brief description of your job duties
- Address of the company (location of where you will work)
- Specific number of hours you will work per week
- Supervisor’s name, email and phone number
3. Request Recommendation
Meet with your Cal Poly exchange coordinator or academic advisor to review the offer letter. If you don’t know who your academic advisor is, email email@example.com. Ask the advisor to send a recommendation letter via email to Judy Mitchell.
The recommendation letter must include:
- Verification of good academic standing
- The goals and objectives of the specific academic training
- A description of the academic training opportunity, including the business/company name, its location (address), and the internship duties.
- The name, phone number, and email of the training supervisor, the number of hours per week, and the start and end dates of the training
- How the academic training relates to the student’s field of study on the DS-2019
- Why it is an integral or critical part of your academic program