Big Data

Health Insurance

The Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan is mandatory.

California State University system requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to maintain health insurance coverage while enrolled in classes at Cal Poly.

Health Insurance Plan for F-1 and J-1 Visa Students

Cal Poly has negotiated a reasonable and comprehensive health insurance policy for international students and the International Center will automatically enroll you in the insurance plan for every term you are enrolled in courses.

Health insurance protects you from having to pay large medical bills that can arise even from simple medical procedures. Cal Poly will enroll students in the campus health insurance plan upon enrollment in classes each term including summer. You are also strongly advised to continue your coverage during school breaks.

Detailed instructions about how to use your plan can be found on My Care 26 Health Insurance Portal. You must download a new insurance ID card at the start of each quarter of enrollment.

How much does it cost?

Fees are charged quarterly along with your tuition fees. See the Cost Sheet on My Care 26 Health Insurance Portal.

When are fees for the insurance due?

Fees for the insurance will be due when tuition fees are due. See Student Accounts for fee schedule.

What does it cover?

The plan includes coverage for health care, mental health care, emergency family travel, medical evacuation and repatriation, and accidental death and dismemberment.

You will find details on plan coverage under Benefits on the My Care 26 Health Insurance Portal.

Familiarize yourself with the information there and and share this information with family members.

Are vision and dental services included?

The medical plan does NOT include coverage for vision correction (eyeglasses, contact lenses, or vision exams) or dental services for patients over 19 years of age (unless related to an injury).

If you wish, you may purchase your own vision and dental insurance. Plans are available on the My Care 26 Enhanced Products page.

eHealth offers price and coverage comparisons. Be aware of waiting periods on dental plans.

How do I get my Insurance ID card?

The first time you enroll, you will receive an email from Cigna with instructions on how to set up your account on Cigna Envoy. There you will download your card at the start of each quarter.

How do I find a doctor?

You may see a doctor on campus at Cal Poly Campus Health & Wellbeing during hours of operation. Consult Campus Health & Wellbeing Health Services for hours and services offered. You can make an appointment in the health portal at My Cal Poly Portal. You may also reach a Cal Poly health professional by phone on the After-Hours Nurse Line at (805) 756-1211.

Use the Find a Provider link on My Care 26 to find a doctor or go to the nearest emergency room or urgent care clinic.

Can I get coverage when not enrolled?

If you would like to purchase insurance by month to cover your grace period after enrollment ends, or if you would like coverage for periods of OPT, academic training, or summer vacation quarter when you are not enrolled in classes, you may enroll online at My Care 26 and pay with a credit or debit card. You must have been covered by the plan within the last 30 days to be eligible.

How do I submit a claim?

In most cases you will pay a small copayment to see a doctor at the time of service and the doctor’s office will bill the insurance company directly. If you are required to pay in full for services up front at a doctor’s office or if you are billed for services received at Campus Health and Wellbeing, you can submit a claim electronically through Cigna Envoy. Instructions are found on My Care 26.

IMPORTANT: Keep your mailing address information in the Student Center current. Your Home address should always reflect where you are currently living. Cal Poly will send your Mailing address information to the insurance company so they can mail you information about your insurance plan and send you your claims reimbursement checks. If you do not list a Mailing address, your Home address will be used instead. Claims checks will only be sent to a U.S. address.

Am I exempt from the Cal Poly International Insurance Plan?

Students who are sponsored by a government organization which requires them to have a different health insurance plan as part of their sponsorship are exempt from enrolling in the Cal Poly Health Insurance Plan. Sponsored students must submit a waiver request along with proof of insurance coverage each academic year to the International Center. The International Center will review the insurance plan to verify that it meets the CSU requirements. Contact to request a waiver.

If you are outside of the U.S. enrolled in purely virtual classes, you may submit a request for a waiver through the International Student Hub.

Medical Emergencies and After Hours Care

See the After Hours Care page on Campus Health and Wellbeing for locations and contact information for hospitals and walk-in clinics near campus. These facilities accept the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan. 


Gather your proof of immunizations and read the Campus Health & Wellbeing immunization requirements.

There are no immunization or health tests required to purchase the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance plan.

There are no general immunization requirements to apply for a J-1 or F-1 visa, or entry to the USA. Check with your local U.S. embassy or consular office abroad where you are applying for your visa.

Exchange students and students participating in the VISIT Cal Poly program for more than one quarter are subject to the Cal Poly immunization requirements.

More Questions?

Regarding the Cal Poly Insurance Plan coverage and eligibility contact Academic Health Education Solutions:

Regarding benfits and claims contact Cigna StudyWell:

Regarding health insurance fees charged to your student account contact Cal Poly International Students and Scholars: