Accepted Scholars and Student interns
Congratulations on being accepted for Cal Poly Sponsorship for a J-1 Visa!
Now that you have been accepted, please review the important next steps outlined below.
Eligibility for DS-2019
The Cal Poly International Center will send accepted scholars and interns for sponsorship for a J-1 Visa a link to the DS-2019 Request form or J-1 Student Intern Request form.
You will be required to electronically provide an image of passport, proof of funding, proof of English proficiency, and your CV.
Proof of Funding
Be sure to include documented proof of any funds you will use to support yourself during your stay at Cal Poly. The amount of funds you will need to show will depend on your length of stay and number of dependents coming with you. Funding can be in any combination of salary from Cal Poly (if applicable), personal, government, or organizational funds including stipends, scholarships, or other support. Documents must be no older than six months. The amount required is based on the cost estimates for living in San Luis Obispo.
Proof of funding required in U.S. dollars per month
Proof of English Language Proficiency
U.S. Department of State regulations require that the sponsor (Cal Poly) evaluate the visitor’s English language skills to determine that the visitor has sufficient proficiency in the English language to successfully participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis. We are allowed to use one of the following “objective measurements of English language proficiency” to determine an applicant’s language proficiency:
- A recognized English language test;
- Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school; or
- A documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by videoconferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option. This can be conducted and documented by the Cal Poly faculty mentor or internship supervisor when he or she submits the online recommendation or supervisor agreement.
Health Insurance Requirement
All J-1 exchange visitors are required to have health insurance for themselves and any accompanying family members on J-2 visas. Unlike many other countries, which bear the expense of health care for its residents, individuals in the U.S. are responsible for these expenses themselves. A single day of hospitalization can cost thousands of dollars. A good insurance policy gives you access to excellent medical facilities and provides protection against the enormous costs of health care. Please find detailed information on immunizations and insurance on the Healthcare for J-1 Visa Scholars and Student interns page.
Applying for a J-1 Visa
Visit J-1 Visas page
Prepare for Arrival
- Read the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Welcome Brochure
- After you have your J-1 visa, purchase health insurance for scholars that meets the criteria for J-1 visa holders
- Health insurance must be in place by the program start date and be valid until the program end date for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders
- Arrange for housing. Rental housing is in high demand in San Luis Obispo and can be quite expensive so begin your search early.
- Graduate students and Student Interns: Check out our Student Programs. Email email@example.com if interested in the Cal Poly International Welcome Ambassador program.
Entering the USA
Please review important information about Entering the USA
Arrival and Temporary Accomodations
Transportation via air, bus, or train is available from San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), Dallas (DFW), and Phoenix (PHX) to San Luis Obispo (SBP). San Luis Obispo is approximately 225 miles from Los Angeles to the south and San Francisco to the north. It is best to book your flight all the way through to San Luis Obispo. You may also take the Amtrak train or Greyhound bus to San Luis Obispo from Los Angeles or San Francisco. Once you arrive in San Luis Obispo, you will need to take a taxi, Uber, or Lyft ride to your apartment or hotel.
- Yellow Cab of San Luis Obispo – 805-234-8294
- Central Coast Taxi – 805-202-1370
If you intend to stay in a hotel or motel when you first arrive, make reservations well in advance of your arrival. Here are some hotels and motels that are close to campus:
- Adobe Inn
- Boutique Hotel Collection
- Comfort Inn & Suites Lamplighter
- Economy Motel
- Garden Street Inn
- The Kinney (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)
- Los Padres Inn
- Peach Tree Inn
- San Luis Creek Lodge
- San Luis Obispo Downtown Travelodge
- Sands Suites & Motel
- Sunbeam Motel
- Super 8 Motel
- Windemere Hotel
A youth hostel, Hostel Obispo is located close to campus at 1617 Santa Rosa St., San Luis Obispo, and is another option for temporary housing until you get settled in an apartment. Call (805) 544-4768 to make a reservation.
- Obtain a U.S. telephone number. This is required for SEVIS validation
- Submit the J-1 Scholar and Intern Check-In Form
- Edit your profile with your SLO area address as your SEVIS U.S. Address
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a check-in appointment
- If you will be paid by Cal Poly, you will need a Social Security Card. See Social Security Card Application Process