Student Employment

Many employment opportunities exist both on and off-campus for international students. Different policies and procedures exist depending on the situation.

On-Campus Employment

Work up to 20 hours per week during the quarter and more than 20 hours per week during school breaks.

A building on the campus of Cal Poly
career fair

Curricular Practical Training


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) may be authorized when an internship is a required component of a student’s curriculum.

Optional Practical Training


Optional Practical Training (OPT) is 12 months of work authorization for F-1 visa students.

students attend a career fair on campus

Other Employment Options

Learn about some other employment options for Cal Poly International Students.

F-1 Economic Hardship

F-1 Economic Hardship is off-campus employment that is approved by USCIS based on unforeseen severe economic hardship.

J-1 Academic Training

J-1 Academic Training is paid or nonpaid (volunteer) training directly related to the field of study listed on your DS-2019 form.

A building on the campus of Cal Poly

Social Security

A U.S. Social Security Card is required to work on and off-campus.

U.S. Taxes

Even if you do not work, all F-1 and J-1 visa holders must submit a form to the IRS each year.

students work with an advisor over financial documents