Health Insurance and Immunizations

The California State University system requires international students on F-1 and J-1 visas to maintain health insurance coverage while enrolled in classes at Cal Poly.

Health insurance protects you from having to pay large medical bills that can arise even from simple medical procedures. Cal Poly will enroll students in the campus health insurance plan upon enrollment in classes each term including summer. You are also strongly advised to continue your coverage during school breaks.

The Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan

Cal Poly has negotiated a reasonable and comprehensive health insurance policy for international students.

Detailed instructions about how to use your plan can be found visitng International Students Insurance Plan. You must download a new insurance ID card at the start of each quarter of enrollment.

  • See 2020-2021 Plan Snapshot for quarterly rates and coverage dates.

    What You Will Pay

    • The cost of the insurance charge
    • A $150 deductible per policy year (waived at the campus health center and an in-network doctor’s office)
    • A $10 copay when you go to an in-network doctor’s office (waived at the campus health center)
    • No copay, after deductible, when using an in-network urgent care facility
    • No copay for an in-network urgent care physician office visit
    • A $150 copay after deductible if you go to an in-network emergency room (waived if you are admitted to hospital)
    • A $15 copay for generic prescription medications, or a $30 copay for brand name medications (copays waived at campus health center)
    • Out-of-network coinsurance if you do not use an in-network provider
    • Full amount for any services not covered by insurance (see exclusions and limitations in the Member Guide)

    See full plan provision in the Geo Blue Medical Plan Certificate

  • Fees for the insurance will be due when tuition fees are due. See Student Accounts web page for fee schedule.

  • The plan includes coverage for health care, mental health care, emergency family travel, medical evacuation and repatriation, and accidental death and dismemberment.

    See International Student Insurance Plan for information on rates and how to use your plan and details of plan coverage.

    Familiarize yourself with and share these important documents with family members:

    Explore International Student Insurance Plan to find contact information, links to providers, instructions on how to obtain your insurance card, and how to file a claim.

    View this slide presentation about How to Use your Medical Insurance (pdf)
  • The medical plan does NOT include coverage for vision correction (eyeglasses, contact lenses, or vision exams) or dental services for patients over 19 years of age(unless related to an injury). If you wish, you may purchase your own vision and dental insurance. The eHealth offers price and coverage comparisons. Be aware of waiting periods on dental plans.

  • You will receive an email from GeoBlue with instructions on how to download your card each quarter. You may also set up an account at GeoBlue to access your ID card at any time. If you need to seek treatment before you receive your card, please contact Relation Education Solutions at 800-537-1777 to obtain your insurance ID number.

  • You may see a doctor on campus at Cal Poly Health Services when they are open. See the web page for hours and services offered. You can make an appointment in the health portal at You may also reach a Cal Poly health professional by phone on After-Hours Nurse Line at (805) 756-1211. Use the International Student Insurance Plan web page to find where to access care off campus.
  • If you would like to purchase insurance by month to cover your grace period after enrollment ends, or if you would like coverage for periods of OPT, academic training, or summer vacation quarter when you are not enrolled in classes, you may enroll online at International Student Insurance Plan or by phone by calling (800) 537-1777 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time) and pay with a credit or debit card. You must have been covered by the plan within the last 30 days to be eligible.

    Students with approved or pending OPT may contact to request the OPT Enrollment Form and email it to

  • In most cases you will pay a small copayment to see a doctor at the time of service and the doctor’s office will bill the insurance company directly. If you are required to pay in full for services up front at a doctor’s office, you can submit a claim electronically through the GeoBlue Member Hub at You may also fax, email, or mail claims to or fax to (610) 482-9623, or mail claims to the following address:

    P.O. Box 21974
    Eagan, MN 55121

    You may download a claim from Keep copies of all the documents you submit for claims.

    Claim Questions?

    • Download a claim form from
    • To check the status of a claim you submitted, call GeoBlue at (844) 268-2686

    Keep Address Current


    IMPORTANT: Keep your address information in the Student Center current. Your Home address should always reflect where you are currently living. Cal Poly will send your Mailing address information to the insurance company so they can mail you information about your insurance plan and send you your claims reimbursement checks. If you do not list a Mailing address, your Home address will be used instead. Claims checks will only be sent to a U.S. address.

  • Students who are sponsored by a government organization which requires them to have a different health insurance plan as part of their sponsorship are exempt from enrolling in the Cal Poly health insurance plan. Sponsored students must submit a waiver request along with proof of insurance coverage each academic year to the International Center. The International Center will review the insurance plan to verify that it meets the CSU requirements. Contact to request a waiver.


Gather your proof of immunizations and read the Campus Health & Wellbeing immunization requirements for enrolled students

There are no immunization or health tests required to purchase the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance plan.

There are no general immunization requirements to apply for a J-1 or F-1 visa, or entry to the USA. Check with your local U.S. embassy or consular office abroad where you are applying for your visa.

Students participating in the VISIT Cal Poly program are exempt from the campus immunization requirements.

Medical Emergencies and After Hours Care

See the Medical Emergencies page on Campus Health and Wellbeing for locations and contact information for hospitals and walk-in clinics near campus. These facilities accept the Cal Poly International Student Health Insurance Plan. These can also be found in the Using Your Insurance How-To Guide.

See the video below created by Relation Insurance for information on how to use your health insurance in the U.S.


Regarding the Cal Poly Insurance Plan coverage and eligibility contact Relation Education Solutions:

Regarding claims contact GeoBlue:

Regarding health insurance fees charged to your student account contact Cal Poly International Students and Scholars: