International Welcome Ambassadors Program
This program brings international and domestic Cal Poly students together to share their culture and develop friendships. International Welcome Ambassadors provide a support system to assist new international students with adapting to life in California.
All new international students will have the opportunity to sign up for an International Welcome Ambassador and will be emailed an introduction to the program before they arrive. International Welcome Ambassadors keep in contact with their assigned students and meet them as soon as possible after their arrival on campus or may even offer to pick up their students at the SLO airport. The International Welcome Ambassador Program offers various cross-cultural group events and social activities each quarter. Examples of past events include s’mores on the beach, karaoke night, pumpkin carving, Thanksgiving dinner, and a trip to Santa Cruz, California.
Meet the International Welcome Ambassadors
New Students: How to sign up for an International Welcome Ambassador
All international students and scholars will be emailed details of the program with a link to apply. If you are an international student or scholar who would like to be assigned a International Welcome Ambassador but have not received an email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Students - How can I apply to be an International Welcome Ambassador?
1. Winter quarter: Students are recruited to be welcome ambassadors
2. March: Application opens
3. Spring Quarter: Students begin participation
- Good academic standing and positive role model with positive disciplinary record
- Must be able to attend the fall Welcome reception in September
- Must be able to attend training and be in San Luis Obispo as early as August 10, 2017 to meet their international student
- International students and study abroad returnees are highly encouraged to apply because these students have been through this experience themselves.